Adult Basic Education and Training - ABET
Supporting adult learning in South Africa



How to register as an IEB ABET provider
The IEB provides assessment services for schools and for adult learners predominantly in the workplace. The IEB training unit, ASSET, provides training in assessment matters. The IEB also offers advice and consultancy services in assessment issues as required by schools and industry organisations.

Registration as a private further education and training (FET) college
To offer National Qualifications Framework (NQF) full qualifications on levels 2 –4, you must register as a private FET college with the Department of Higher  Education and Training (DHET) in terms of theFurther Education and Training Colleges Act, 2006 (Act No. 16 of 2006)

FETs are public or private colleges that are established, declared or registered under the FET Colleges Act, 2006, however the following are not required to register with the DHET:

  • a school offering further education and training programmes under the South African Schools Act
  • an organ of state that provides education and training.

Institutions that offer short courses, non-NQF programmes or parts of qualifications, are not affected by registration in terms of the FET Act (Act 16 of 2006).

Thutong - FET Colleges and schools information
Curriculum Learning spaces.

Western Cape Government. Registering an ABET facility
According to the WEED website, ABET centres are typically housed in community learning centres managed by local communities and supported by the Education Department. Those wishing to operate ABET centres must register them with the Western Cape Education Department.

To register an ABET centre in the Western Cape, you need to submit an application to the Head of the WCED.

For more information, contact:

André Damon
Tel: 021 467 2606
Fax: 021 467 9385

Careers without matric

Learning how to export

About us | Contact us | Disclaimer | Privacy Statement | Advertise

This website is designed by Interactive Reality